Here is a suggestion I sent in a few days ago. Does anyone else see any benefit to us if something like this could be programmed??
Here is an idea that is percolating in my old brain. I am beginning work on a custom designed client portal but the more I create the design in my mind the more I think the portal needs to be software specific meaning TaxCycle or Profile or TaxPrep. TaxCycle already has 90% of what it needs plus you appear to love your job as much as I love mine. Don’t laugh too hard but here is the fleshing out so far.
- The client logs into a client portal on the accountant’s internal server or a cloud server. To work for me it has to be a Windows 2008 R2 or newer server inside my practice’s building.
- The client types in their Social Insurance Number, a Password they have chosen, and is prompted for the tax year they are uploading forms for.
At this point TaxCycle takes over, finds the SIN and reads the pre-coded directory for the client. You are 99% there with the changes we discussed on the TaxCycle board about creating subdirectories in the PDF print routines. Let’s say it’s me
- H:\1Scans\T1\A\Adams, Norman\
- Depending on the tax year entered TaxCycle creates or points to a subdirectory
- If I enter tax year 2013 and \2013 already exists then TaxCycle creates only a \2013 Uploaded Data in the existing H:\1Scans\T1\A\Adams, Norman\2013\ tree
- If I enter 2014 then TaxCycle creates H:\1Scans\T1\A\Adams, Norman\2014\2014 Uploaded Data
- If I enter a tax year value that is greater then the current year minus one (1) I am asked if I want to upload files today for use preparing my 2015 return NEXT April
DoxCycle takes over at this point and OCRs the uploaded data and created the DoxCycle file for later import into TaxCycle and places it in the H:\1Scans\T1\A\Adams, Norman\2015\ subdirectory
To make this work really well a couple of things need to be designed.
- We need to be able to create SuperClients where the SINs of all related family members are linked to one SIN. As long as the family returns are linked both spouses and all children would be uploaded to the SuperClient subdirectory tree. If a child is dis-associated from the group then the system creates an entirely new tree for them.
- Your system will need to allow for context based location and updating of client subdirectory names. For example the subdirectory names need to be the exact SuperUser name from their TaxCycle file so if your current file name is not exactly what is should be TaxCycle will display all existing similar names and ask me to chose which one it is and offer to update the directory names to exactly match the CRA accepted name. For Example. The client name does not exactly match. My CRA name is Norman A Adams. There are 3 Adams files to tax Cycle prompts: Your file name does not match exactly which of the following existing files do you wish to upload to? 1) Adams, Norman 2) Adams, Daniel 3) Adams, Christine 4) create a new subdirectory. If I select 1 then TaxCycle prompts and says (we recommend that you change the subdirectory name to match your clients name of file with CRA. Accept Yes(1) No(2)
This can be massaged to work for all other portions of your software as well. T2 prep wouldn’t need the DoxCycle interface portion.
- The client types in their Business Number and are prompted if this is a Corporate, Payroll, HST or Investment Income upload.
- TaxCycle can then create and upload to custom locations like H:\1Scans\T2\A\ADAMS and Associates Ltd\2015\Payroll\2015 Uploaded Data
- T4/T5 prep could use it if you can make those modules use DoxCycle to OCR T4s created in accounting packages and transfer the data to TaxCycle’s T4 module.
For me, this in conjunction with ClientTrack would make the perfect Tax Office management system for all portions of my practice and can be used to tax preparation, compliance, consulting and management services.
If this has clicked in any part of your internal design plans, let me know. Always happy to dream and scheme