TaxCycle Home | Products | Pricing | Events | Documentation | Support | Blog

C/o line

When using the ‘Care of’ line, I know it feds to the applicable spot on the T1. However, there is no reference to c/o in letters or labels which I currently edit manually.

Could you please provide the code to automate this?

Thanks.

Here’s they way I addressed a similar issue in one of my templates. There may be a better way but for, example, if someone has Apt 5, this will put “Apt 5-123 Any Street” but will ignore the Apt 5- if there is nothing in that field. You could do something similar with the Care Of field.

{{# (CurrentClient.Info.Address.Apartment<>"") }}{{CurrentClient.Info.Address.Apartment}}- {{/end}}{{CurrentClient.Info.Address.Street}}

@helga_spence The c/o line appears in our Address snippet, which then flows to all the built-in templates, including labels and letters, etc. We added this last year to allow easier inclusion of client addresses in templates.

Are you using this snippet in your custom templates? If not, you can just add this text to anywhere you are using the client address in a template:

{{> Address }}

It will then pull in the following code, which includes the c/o text (I bolded it below to show):

{{# CurrentClient.Info.Address }}{{# CareOf }}c/o {{ . }}
{{/ CareOf }} {{# POBox or POBoxLocation }}{{# POBox }}PO Box {{ . }}{{/ POBox }} {{ POBoxLocation }}
{{/ POBox or POBoxLocation }} {{# RuralRoute }}RR {{ . }}
{{/ RuralRoute }} {{# Apartment }}{{ . }} - {{/ Apartment }}{{# Street }}{{ . }}
{{/ Street }} {{# Country != “USA”}}{{ZipCode}} {{/ Country != “USA”}}{{# City }}{{ . }} {{/ City }}{{ abbreviate(Province) }}{{# State }}{{ . }} {{/ State }} {{ format(PostalCode) }}{{# Country = “USA”}} {{ZipCode}}{{/ Country = “USA”}}{{# Country}}
{{ . }}{{/ Country }}{{/ CurrentClient.Info.Address }}

The advantage of this is that if you only need to update the Address snippet to make changes, rather than all those templates.

Is there a joint equivalent? .

For example:
Mr & Mrs Client
c/o Retirement Home

That Address template does not include the names of the taxpayers, just the address. We leave that piece in the template itself.

For example, the joint letter does the following:

{{# CurrentClient.Info }}
{{# ID.FirstName }}{{ . }} {{ ID.LastName }} {{/ ID.FirstName }} & {{# SpouseID.FirstName }}{{ . }} {{ SpouseID.LastName }}
{{/ SpouseID.FirstName }} {{> Address }}
{{/ CurrentClient.Info }}

You could do the same in a label to have it address both spouses in that way and use the address and C/O from the principal taxpayer:

{{# CurrentClient.Info }}
{{# ID.Title }}{{ . }} {{/ ID.Title }} & {{# SpouseID.Title }}{{ . }} {{ ID.LastName }}
{{/ SpouseID.Title}} {{> Address }}
{{/ CurrentClient.Info }}